Talking trains. FS, the Italian State Railway Group, participated in the World Congress on Railway Research (WCRR 2022) at the International Convention Centre in Birmingham, UK. And the company led by Luigi Ferraris did not forget to pack all the buzzwords.
- FS representatives spoke of innovation, technology, digital, sustainability, energy self-sufficiency, cybersecurity and automation. These are all avenues FS is actively embedding in its work to improve rail transportation in Italy and elsewhere in the world.
- The company sponsored WCRR 2022 and participated along with its companies RFI, Trenitalia, Italferr and Italcertifer.
The future of rail. The event entailed five days of international panels, with a programme of 60 presentation sessions and almost 300 abstracts. All of this provided the opportunity to share new visions of technical railway development and discuss its future direction.
- FS brought to Birmingham its know-how on the application of new technologies in the maintenance of railway infrastructures to increase safety and guarantee a higher quality of service.
- The group also tackled energy storage and management – essential to decarbonise and foster sustainability – along with cybersecurity.
- FS devoted a panel to timetable optimisation in stations, a crucial component of the travel experience.
Award season. Giusy Elena Caci, Italferr’s sustainability expert, won the Best Paper Award for Rail Competitiveness at the event’s closing ceremony. Her speech centred on Italferr’s new engineering concept, which transforms each project into an opportunity to dialogue with the communities and enhance the territory.